Addy's Adventures in Technology

Join me as I explore the ways technology can enhance learning.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Blackboard or Moodle


I would like to use Blackboard or Moodle. I have just begun to explore Moodle and will be going to a training this summer on Blackboard. I think that it would probably be in my students best interest if I used blackboard so it would be consistent with the other teachers. I know that there are a couple other middle school teachers in my district who plan on using it next year. I think it would be great for the students to become familiar with blackboard on a small level before they go to high school.
I would use blackboard to post my lessons. I think this would be great for students when they miss school for the day or our out for awhile. You can link documents, presentations, videos, and directions. The students can also refer back to this information from home. I would also like them to turn in papers and rubrics on blackboard.The pedagogical strategies used would be deductive. The students will be reading the directions, looking at examples, and then doing the given task.
I think that you might have the problem of students not be able to access the Internet from home. But, I think that opportunities can be made available for students to stay after and use school computers. I know that many students at our high school stay after to do their assignments in the library and computer lab. I think that my students will really enjoy using blackboard. They pick up on things so quickly and love the idea of being on the computer and learning at the same time!

2 comments:

  1. Blackboard has a built in blogging feature, as well. I have my 5th graders using it to respond to questions I post. Besides posting assignments and related documents, I have posted math video tutorials for them to use as a review on how to solve a multiple digit addition problem. Our Alien Adventure is also posted on Blackboard and my 4th graders have interacting with students in Scotland and South Korea. Once you get use to the interface, I think you will enjoy using it with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that staying consistent with blackboard will benefit the kids. I was fortunate enough to have online courses in high school. We used blackboard and an online chemistry program called lon-capa. I really helped prepare me for college as the format is similar.

    ReplyDelete