Addy's Adventures in Technology

Join me as I explore the ways technology can enhance learning.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Internet Research for TechQuest Project

Internet Research for TechQuest Project

I found a lot of excellent information. I used Google Scholar when I was looking for the articles on lateral thinking. I wanted to make sure that the information I was reading was coming from respected resources. I found that I had a lot of success using this tool and came up with the information that I was looking for. I enjoyed reading De Bono so much I ended up purchasing three of his books on Amazon. I am hoping to get them to help me finish my work. When I was looking for ideas from other teachers, schools, and free tutorials I used Google. It was tough to find the right wording to put in to get the information that I wanted. But, as soon as I found those key words, tons of great information was available to read. I did a lot of my research before reading the Valenza article. Next time I need to do research, I would use some the search engines she suggested. Below are the resources I found informative and helpful. I gave a brief description under each one explaining how it was an informative resource for my project.

Stop Motion Animation Claymation in Education - an Exciting Learning Tool for All Ages! November 3, 2008, ArticlesBase http://www.articlesbase.com/software-articles/stop-motion-animation-claymation-in-education-an-exciting-learning-tool-for-all-ages-640801.html.
This source shows how stop motion can enhance education and the benefits it has on students’ technology and thinking skills.

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Clay-Connie.htm
This is site has a great stop motion lesson plan submitted by Connie Ferguson, a middle school teacher at Monroe in Wisconsin. It ties in history, creativity, along with incorporating the numerous benchmarks the project touches. It also show examples of student work.

http://www.dpsnc.net/channel-4/bright-ideas/claymation-at-rhs
This is a great video explaining how stop motion videos were used at a Durham Public Schools. It shows how the process teaches students many skills across the curriculum.

Torreno, Frank: ClayMation: Making Mitosis Work. 2002-2003 http://uw.kqed.org/edresources/plans/mitosis.pdf
I thought this article showed a great way of creativity and lateral thinking can be used across the curriculum. It also had a great hand out showing students how to get each set organized for picture and for voice. I think I will use a handout like this to get my students started.

Walker, Wendie: Multimedia-Claymation, http://www.fosterps.vic.edu.au/claymation.htm
This source gave a lot of advice on things to make sure that students did not do. It also gave a great story board handout. This website also gave a list of things that had to be done. Another great part of this website was all of the other resources it listed to check out.

Hill, Lisa: ClayMation Videos Teach STEM. 2010.http://www.schooltech.ancientfuturemedia.com/2010/05/claymation-videos-teaching-science/
This website illustrates how ClayMation/Stop Motion video combines science art and technology. It lists why to do the lesson and also includes a sample lesson plan and video.

Peterson, Mark. Stop Motion Animation in Education – An exciting learning tool for all ages! April 14th,2010. http://b4tea.com/education/stop-motion-animation-in-education
This website talks about the skills students will learn while using stop motion video. It also has great links to other informational websites.

Stop Motion Tutorial-You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0KMSfiizdY
This is a great simple tutorial for the visual learner. Just make sure to turn the sound off. It has some very heavy background music.

De Bono E. (1969). The mechanism of mind. New York: Simon and Schuster.
De Bono E. (1970). Lateral thinking: creativity step by step. New York: Harper and Row.
De Bono E. (1976). Teaching thinking. London: Temple Smith.
De Bono E. (1995) Serious Creativity. Journal for Quality and Participation.
I used these readings to research lateral thinking and creativity. The articles expressed the importance of lateral thinking on education. They also express the impact lateral thinking skills can have on a students learning success.

1 comment:

  1. I've become more familiar with De Bono and his work with creativity over the past month. MSU is in the process of redesigning some of the certificate program' curriculum and I did a presentation on creativity. On a different note ~ It was great to hear that you were able to find resources for your students to use in your search. Helpful suggestion ~ you may want to do a little bit of researching on the different types of Storyboarding resources that are out there. You students could probably use them as they laterally think their way through the stop-motion challenges. Terrific resources - you are ready to go on to the next step - the implementation podcast.

    ReplyDelete